[Scribus] best OS to keep up with scribus, gscript and inskcape dev...

Craig Bradney cbradney
Tue Mar 1 16:28:53 CET 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 16:13, Tariq Rashid wrote:
> although this may sound like an inappropriate question - its not.
>
> i am now starting to produce documents that will need to be as good as
> possible as they are for public consumption.
>
> i have always used mandrake (now 10.1) as my workstation as it has had
> quite up to date software ... but i am finding it a pain to keep up with
> inkscpape and scribus development.
>
> never mind the fact that mandrake, amongst other major distros, ship
> ghostscript 7.07!
>
> i wonder if a more "source" bases OS is a better idea to keep up with
> changes upstream, whilst keeping the local workstation integrated - ie if i
> update ghostscript i don't want CUPS printing to break, etc etc

You can easily use Gentoo with Scribus.. it will depend on your printer as to
whether GS AFPL will have all the drivers you need. Inkscape is only at 0.40
in unstable tho.. but once u have that, getting inkscape CVS running is just
a make install

Craig