Text Markups & formatting (line Wrapping) Was [Re: [Scribus] Ideas on collaboration]

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Thu Jun 23 09:51:47 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 02:23 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Marvin Dickens wrote:

> >Strips out text, photos and graphics from OpenOffice docs
> >into 3 separate and distinct files types. Text is saved as
> >ordinary ASCII text. ASCII is the lowest common denominator
> >and is infinitely portable.
> >
> I *strongly* suggest UTF-8. Using ASCII would result in data loss.

Okay. One thing which I'm currently seeing right now is I'm being given
a variety of input files ranging from ACII/SXC/RTF/DOC/LyX etc.

This is a two part question.

One problem I face is depending on the input file provided, is that some
software will automatically wrap text at every 75 words etc and this
makes importing it into Scribus difficult cos it has to be edited to
remove the auto-(hard)-wraps.

The other issues is, if it's auto wrapped it's good because it makes
corrections to the documents easy and can be diff'ed properly (as txt
files). I've had nightmares diffing txt files which doesn't auto-wrap.

So... as I mentioned, this is a 2 edged sword, for me at least. Is there
a diff utility which diffs word by word rather then by paragraph??

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!