[Scribus] Ideas on collaboration [was: How do you guys share scribus files for collaboration?

Craig Ringer craig
Wed Jun 22 19:48:51 CEST 2005

Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:

>That way
>your English, German, Russian, Japanese, or whatever shop could define the
>formatting elements in their native language to make it easy to create markup
>that their local authors would be willing to adopt consistently. Then, they
>provide a conversion table and all import happens transparently from then on.

This is exactly what I was referring to with regards to "domain specific
markup." Not only language, but document purpose and publication type
are factors. A German weekly newspaper will have different needs to an
English weekly newspaper, which will have different needs to an English
monthly magazine with world-wide one-off contributors, which in turn
will have different needs to a quarterly technical journal.

In my view it's not a matter of having one GetText plugin and one fixed
"Scribus" markup, but using the power of that interface to create the
markup you need. This might be done with one very flexible/configurable
plugin, or by customising a plugin to your needs. That's not to say
there's no place for a Scribus-specific text markup (on the contrary,
for things like that external subediting tool I was talking about, it'd
be crucial), only that there's a useful place for domain-specific
markups too.

I know some magazines use their own custom markups already, sometimes
hand-formatting them after import, and sometimes doing it automatically.
Making this easier wouldn't be harmful at all... and the GetText
interface is a good way to get into Scribus development. *hint*. *hint*.

--
Craig Ringer