[Scribus] (no subject)

Vijay Kiran Duvvuri vkiran
Wed Jun 22 06:39:26 CEST 2005

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll certainly look into the IP issues and
try to get them resolved.

Regards,
Vijay

 -- I blog, therefore I am. --

-----Original Message-----
From: scribus-bounces at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
[mailto:scribus-bounces at nashi.altmuehlnet.de] On Behalf Of Craig Ringer
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:10 AM
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: Re: [Scribus] (no subject)

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 09:14 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 17:54 +0530, Vijay Kiran Duvvuri wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> > I've been an active listener on the mailing list for a while. I want
> > to start contributing to the project.
> >
> > I am working at Quark in Enterprise Product development division.
> >
> > I've 3 yrs exp in Java/J2EE & C++.
> >
> > Please let me know how do I get started J
>
> I'm afraid I have to put my personal opinion with that of Craig
Bradney
> - we do have to be very careful when it comes to accepting help from
> folks who work or have worked at commercial DTP outfits. As I'm sure
you
> know, "Intellectual Property" is being stretched more and more every
> day, and it's just not safe to make assumptions about what can get you
> in hot water - even if it seems entirely reasonable. A lawsuit doesn't
> have to be legally justified to cause major harm to those without a
> corporation to back their defence (though none of the core developers
> being in the US makes that slightly less of a problem).

Actually, another issue that I should've mentioned is that many
companies - especially software companies - now seem to claim employees'
out-of-hours work as their own. Some do it explicitly in the terms of
employment, others will do it by suing you when they decide it looks
good and they want it. IIRC they tend to win, too.

That's something that has to be considered especially carefully when
that company is one in the same field as your own work, whether
standalone or a contribution to another project.

--
Craig Ringer