[Scribus] How do you guys share scribu files for collaboration?

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng
Tue Jun 21 05:00:19 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 08:16 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 15:26 +0200, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Dnia poniedzia?ek 20 czerwiec 2005 11:11, Ow Mun Heng napisa?:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 	I'm wondering if anyone here uses scribus as a means to publish a
> > > magazine, MyOSS Mag (http://mag.my-opensource.org) uses it for their
> > > Online free mag.
> > >
> > I wonder how it would work with cvs/svn and Cervisia.
>
> Poorly. Subversion doesn't understand structured document formats, it
> only knows how to merge text. Using a plain-text merge on a structured
> format, especially one as prone to large changes from small inputs as
> the current .sla format is, won't work too well. It'll often fail to
> merge with conflicts, and hand resolving them would be a nightmare.

I second that, as I tried it myself using svn and it totally sucked. I
only made 1 small change and the whole diff was 1 page long (or more!)

> You'd need some sort of "smart" version control / content management
> system that "understood" the doc format. I'd suggest Plone as the place
> to start if you want to investigate something like that (it's already
> used in some places for OO.o docs).

I've heard of plone. A friend of mine suggested I look at something
which is like Object oriented in plone. (forgot the name of the app)

> Until we can get WebDAV support into Scribus, something like Plone will
> be a lot less powerful, though, and to really benefit someone would need
> to write up the Plone extensions to understand the Scribus file format.

Actually, where/how does WedDAV come into play?

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!