[Scribus] ghostscript-esp vs. ghostscript-afpl vs. ghostscript-gnu

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Tue Jun 7 20:35:24 CEST 2005

Hi Sebastian,

ghostscript licensing is a bit tricky. Here's the short version:

- GNU/GPL ghostscript: the manufacturer of gs releases older versions
under the GPL on a regular basis. I suppose you know the GPL, so I won't
explain.

- AFPL ghostscript: recent versions are released under two different
licenses. One of them is the Aladdin Free Public License (AFPL), which
is *not* GPL compliant. You have permission to distribute the software
in binary or source, as long as you do not charge *any* fees for it.
That's the problem for most Linux distributors as their distros are
commercial products. As a consequence, most commercial Linux are shipped
with out-of-date GPL ghostscript.

- Artifex Ghostscript: If you want to distribute a recent version of gs,
you need a commercial licence from Artifex. Most Linux distributors
can't or don't want to spend the money for an Artifex licence.

For more infos, have a look here: http://www.artifex.com/licensing/index.htm

Which gs is best for use in scribus? Probably the latest and greatest,
but for now, 8.15 will suffice. I rember Peter Linell or Craig Bradney
writing that future versions of scribus will require gs 8.5x to take
advantage of new Postscript/PDF features. But I think that's a question
for the developers to answer.

Christoph