[Scribus] Where are the font files? Hurry, please!

Craig Ringer craig
Sat Jul 23 06:59:27 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 12:40 -0700, Robert R. Di Giorgio wrote:
> I have just upgraded to 1.3.0, but I liked the fonts in 1.2.2 a lot
> better

Neither 1.3.x or 1.2.x come with any fonts. The difference is in the way
they search for fonts on your system. 1.2.x searches your X font path -
and does things like tries to parse your X font server config file - to
find fonts. 1.3.x uses the increasingly standard (on Linux) fontconfig
library to locate them.

If xlsfonts shows your fonts but fc-list does not, then that is most
likely your problem. You can either add the directories containing the
fonts to the Scribus font search path in the preferences ("Extra
fonts"), or you can tell fontconfig where to find them.

Please see http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=fonts1 and
http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=fonts2  for more
information.

>  -- and since I used 1.2.2 for last month's edition of my church
> newsletter, I would like to keep the former set of fonts.  I would also
> like to standardize Open Office with the same fonts, because I use it to
> prepare articles for the newsletter. (This is a 24-page color booklet,
> and I'm way behind for this issue!)

I think OpenOffice.org should also be able to find the fonts with
fontconfig if you tell fontconfig where they are.

> But I can't find the fonts. Are they hidden somewhere, or disguised with
> a non-obvious directory name?

You might be able to find them by examining the output of `xset q' (look
for the section entitled "Font Path"). If you see a list of paths there,
look in those. If you see "unix/:7100" then you're using the X font
server, and need to look at /etc/X11/fs/config to see where the fonts
are.

When you locate the fonts, add entries for them to ~/.fonts.conf , eg:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <dir>/home/craig/.cidfonts</dir>
 <dir>/home/craig/.kdetest/share/fonts</dir>
 <dir>/home/craig/.gsfonts</dir>
 <dir>/home/craig/.fonts-arabic</dir>
</fontconfig>

and run fc-cache .

> StarOffice 7 also has the fonts I want, but I can't find those, either.

spadmin might help you locate those. It should be in the same place as
the StarOffice 7 binaries.

--
Craig Ringer