[Scribus] insert lorem ipsum: back to context menu?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Sat Jul 23 03:30:19 CEST 2005

> I think maybe I was just posting in excessive brevity.  In principle, I
> agree with what you say, but this whole discussion you raised in
> essence, just "proves your rule" ("prove" in its original meaning, like
> "Pr?fung"), since this led to the reintroduction of Sample Text in the
> context menu, many people including myself understanding what a context
> menu is, and why a context menu is a useful thing.

<kidding>
WOW, that was ... quite long for an English sentence. Hope you didn't
make the mistake to learn German and by that took to our bad habit of
building *endless* sentences. ;)
</kidding>

> And I don't think
> it's all over yet -- it's still unclear what else should be in the
> context menu and what might be deleted.

No, it certainly isn't. There is at least one really ugly aspect of
scribus' context menu, namely "adjust frame to picture". It would be OK
if the contrary was also available, but currently you have to move to
the properties menu. Here, Quark does better (finally a nice word on
QXP). But this is already in the bugs and IIRC on the roadmap.

> I agree with you about Windows title bar menus -- you just wonder what
> the designers were smoking when they came up with those layouts. They
> pretty obviously were not talking to users.

Just guessing, but maybe you don't understand Microsoft. You can trace
this back to the DOS era. They always/mostly provided worse products
than others, and exactly this was part of their success. Learning to use
MS appliations with all their flaws was not easy, but once people were
familiar with them and the dozens of workarounds, it was hard to turn
back the tide. It was the same for developers: DOS and Windows were/are
so ugly that ISVs had to invest large sums for manufacturing DOS/Windows
software. These products were almost impossible to port to another
platform (guess why they were fighting Netscape and Java tooth and
nail!). Even MS Office for Mac OS is not a port, but a completely
different product. Moreover, MS/Windows shortcomings caused the rise of
whole new industry -- think about antivirus, file fixing, or system
repair software. Imagine we had the same situation in pharmacy or
aeroplanes ...

So, no, they never really talked to their customers. They only added
more bells and whistles to somehow keep up with Apple, but usability and
clean APIs were never part of their corporate culture.

Christoph