[Scribus] insert lorem ipsum: back to context menu?

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Jul 20 23:50:36 CEST 2005

Hi Craig,

[snip]

> That reminds me ... we could really use a tracker category for
> "usability" to distinguish it from "UI" (ie to make "UI" specific to
> functional defects of the UI).

Good idea!

[snip]

> I have to object to several of those points.
>
> First, I think Quark is actually pretty usable at least in some areas.
> It does take a little while to get used to the strongly modal nature of
> editing with it, but not that long. After that, much of the app is
> pretty intuitive and you can actually *find* things.

Of course it usable -- once you are familiar with it. But if you look,
as an example, at the "Item" drop down menu (in 6.5, at least), this
*is* a usability nightmare, at least to me. And QXP's context menu isn't
nearly as useful as scribus'.

That doesn't mean it couldn't get worse (RagTime, Canvas) ;)

>> Unfortunately, that does not extend to configuration (printer styles -
>> *shudder*) or most of the dialogs.

Dialogs and configuration, yes, that's also covered by usability, I think ;)

> As for OO.o, I find it less usable than MS office in the vast majority
> of areas (the exception being some bits of Writer, such as the style
> system). And I mostly use OO.o not MS Office so it's not an issue of
> familiarity.

I tend to disagree, but this isn't /. IMHO, both could need some UI cleanup.

++++++++++++++++

> Louis Desjardins wrote:
>
>> So, network usability could be improved a lot. All related to Scribus,
>> if we could come up with a solution that would include a font server,
>> we'd be getting closer to heavy production capabilities.
>
> I haven't tested network fonts, but will soon. It should be as simple as
> an NFS file share :-) .

That's more than good news.

> When cvs is next sync'd, you will have it back on the context menu :)

Great, thank you. But if others like it as it is 1.3.0, that's perfectly
fine with me. Your suggestion with the shortcut is a good replacement.

Cheers,

Christoph