Usability (was [Scribus] insert lorem ipsum: back to context menu?)

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Wed Jul 20 15:39:39 CEST 2005

[snip]

>That reminds me ... we could really use a tracker category for
>"usability" to distinguish it from "UI" (ie to make "UI" specific to
>functional defects of the UI).

Great idea! :)

[snip]

>  > Moreover, many workflows are
>>  built around second or third grade programmes. OTOH, these facts provide
>>  the time for FOSS to mature and finally offer viable and reliable
>>  alternatives, based on user feedback.
>
>Yep, now that is an interesting area. Making a superior workflow
>possible. The first example that springs to my mind is the fact that at
>least for Q4 on Mac OS 9, when we were having corruption, performance,
>and relibailibty issues with Quark working on files on our file server,
>Quark recommended to me that we simply not use a network.

And, related to those issues, Quark still asks for the same with 6.5.
Although we do work *all the time* over the network (files are
located on the file server), we've had some issues, from time to
time, and were kindly *encouraged* not to work like that. Nonetheless
we still work *all the time* over the network (do we have a choice?!).

That said, we do have lots of issues with Suitcase font server and
this is a pain. So, network usability could be improved a lot. All
related to Scribus, if we could come up with a solution that would
include a font server, we'd be getting closer to heavy production
capabilities.

>An app that is safe on network file systems is thus very, very
>interesting.

Right!

Louis