[Scribus] can Scribus 1.3.1 do PDF/X-1a ?

PLinnell mrdocs
Tue Jul 19 09:58:24 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 09:43, Benjamin Green wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:28:31 +0100, PLinnell <mrdocs at scribus.info>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tuesday 19 July 2005 06:53, Kite Lau wrote:
> >> Isn't PDF/X-3 a subset of PDF/X-1a?
> >
> > No. Each PDF/X-x standard is separately defined. Moreover, it is
> > more correct to define them as PDF/X-1a:2003 for example.
> >
> >> See:  http://www.pdf-x.com/pdfx_123_1.php
>
> Is the quoted page completely wrong then? This is from the bottom
> right hand corner:
>
> "As a superset of PDF/X-1a it has the same requirements, however
> PDF/X-3 also allows for the use of device independent color spaces
> such as Lab and those based on ICC profiles, as well as CMYK."

It is a question of semantics. What I meant to say more clearly is
each spec is a standalone spec which has to be applied. I can see
where someone might be confused. Subtracting the PDF/X-3 features
does not necessarily provide a PDF/X-1a file, which some readers
might infer from reading.

Clear as mud ? ;)

Moreover, there is *another* set of PDF specs in the works call Ghent
PDF, based on a working group called the Ghent PDF group.

The point is just because a file is PDF/X-3 can it also be considered
PDF/X-1? Most definitely not, IMO.

Peter