[Scribus] Playing with Scribus Splash II

netkat at comcast.net netkat
Mon Jul 18 16:06:21 CEST 2005

I'd think "Professional Layout Program" does it
best.

My reasons: "publishing" refers more to the legal
and financial structures for publishing a work
either on paper or on the web. You could say that
to 'publish' is to offer in a publicly-viewable
form, but the implications of copyright and
ownership transcend the mere physicality of the
medium of distribution.

"Suite" implies several components rolled into
one. True, while Scribus offers drawing, PDF and
web design capabilities, it isn't a "Suite" in
the same sense that Adobe's CS is, in which there
are discrete, standalone applications: 1 for page
design, 1 for illustration, 1 for photo editing,
etc. They all work together, and there is some
overlapping functionality, yet each is
specialized for its main purpose.

I think that "Professional" is a big help at this
stage of the game, because many out there aren't
aware of Scribus. I personally heard of it only
months ago, and thought "yeah, right...another
design app," but when I saw how serious Scribus
really is, and how mature its tool set is, I
changed my view quickly (and picked my jaw off
the floor).

Scribus IS a professional tool and needs to be
thought of as one.

I'd say the one thing which may hold Scribus from
being embraced on a wide scale (for now) is the
printing issue. Going to PDF is fine, and may
very well be the future for everyone, but at this
time, many design firms and advertising agencies
still use the Computer Files>Pre Press>Printing
Press workflow, as opposed to the PDF>Press
workflow. Some pioneers have a PDF workflow, but
these are the exception right now. I'm speaking
as one who works in the business in the states
(Chicago) but not trying to speak for everyone on
earth.

Might seem like a silly thing for ad agencies not
to want to bother making a PDF before they can
print proofs, but when you're under the gun with
clients screaming for more, better, faster, and
cheaper, adding more steps to a workflow is the
last thing you want to do.

netkat