Re: [Scribus] Scribus Team Releases 1.3.0 - La Liberté

Kevin Walzer sw
Fri Jul 15 04:46:26 CEST 2005

This is a real milestone. I think this is even more significant than the
1.0 release, because it marks Scribus' arrival as a *full-featured,
professional-level, multi-platform* page layout tool. (I'm reluctant to
use the word "desktop publishing," as one does not usually use that term
to describe Quark or InDesign.) I'm using the Mac-Aqua build on a weekly
basis in a production setting in my book publishing company without
hesitation.

Thanks and congratulations to all the Scribus team members for the
superb work. It's a real pleasure, as a professional-level user, to see
Scribus come fully into bloom.

Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com.
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com

Craig Bradney wrote:
| The Scribus Team is pleased to announce a technology preview of the next
| generation of Scribus - Open Source Desktop Publishing.
|
| The aim for this release is to bring improvements and enhancements for
both
| professionals and beginning users alike. 1.3.0 improves Scribus'
abilities in
| areas like performance, accessibility and workflow. With this release, we
| also commence support for Scribus running natively on Windows and Mac
OS X.

| While it is very stable and usable, there are a number of under the hood
| changes which will continue through the 1.3.x series
|
| - Work is on-going to make Scribus more platform independent and alpha
quality
| builds of Scribus are already working on Win32 and Mac OS X. A native
Mac OS
| X build is available at http://aqua.scribus.net
|
| - There is a new undo system, which includes an undo palette that has
the undo
| history with details of each action. Undo also has object specific
| capabilities. The number of undo/redo steps can be set in the preferences.
|
| - Revised document and application preferences. Extensive attention
has been
| placed on making preferences easier to use with document and application
| preferences distinctly separated.
|
| - Scribus now has "scratch space" which can be used to store objects
partially
| or fully off the page.
|
| - Scribus can now generate Tables of Contents, based on user
| definable/selectable attributes.
|
| - Scribus now has its own built-in pre-flight verifier for printing or
| exporting to PDF. The pre-flighter is designed to look for issues
which might
| cause problems when printing or exporting PDF.
|
| - More professional DTP features like adding ciceros for measurement
units and
| support. Scribus now has true facing page support and page objects
such as
| images can span them.
|
| - Scribus now has more extensive support for CMYK images, as well as
clipping
| paths in TIFF files, CMYK-JPEG, as well as new support for native
Photoshop ?