[Scribus] pdf problem

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Wed Jul 13 03:03:07 CEST 2005

Hi Wayne,

> What can go wrong with converting fonts to outlines?
> Will the final output suffer because of being converted to outlines?

I am not a PDF/PS expert as Peter, but converting to outline is a last
and safe resort to avoid font problems in many cases. Converting to
outline is, AFAIK, nothing else but replacing the (complex) font data,
like metrics, family etc. with "simple" vectors. In your case, you
shouldn't expect any difficulties, because you are producing ads.

It would be different if you were producing a book or a magazine with
large amounts of text. Then the RIP of the printer would probably have
to run on a mainframe, because it had to calculate hundreds of thousands
of vector graphics. In this case, embedded/stored fonts come in handy,
because the font data are stored in one place. That's at least how
professional printers explained the problem to me.

Cheers,

Christoph