[Scribus] Slow Rendering PDF exported from scribus

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Jul 7 18:48:21 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:32:01PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 13:08 +0200, Tobias Hilbricht wrote:
> > I had a look at MyOSS Magazine PDF and freesoftwaremagazine.com (done with
> > pdftex), and I think I see with Acrobat Reader 7 what you mean - when you
> > change from page to page, then page rendering of MyOSS takes place in chops
> > and pieces until you have the whole page, while the pages in
> > freesoftwaremagazine.com PDF are build up almost instantaneously and at once.
>
> Yep.. That's what I see.. That's what I meant.

OK. That makes sense then. It sounds like they were possibly linearized
either on output, or by Acrobat later. This is sometimes called
"optimize for web view".

I checked freesoftwaremagazine.com and it's not linearized (you can look
in doucument properties to tell), which surprised me a little - for some
reason I assumed PDFTex would do that. As for speed / drawing, check out
page 7 or page 10 ... you'll probably see the text draw down the left of
the page then down the right hand side. I think the main reason it's
faster is that most of the pages are actually just images - there's only
one simple element for Acrobat to render. The magazine looks awesome,
too :-)

As far as I know Scribus has no support for linearized output yet. You
can, however, linearize its output by running it through Adobe Acrobat
after the fact.

On a side-note, I'm astonished to hear of some of the rendering times
reported here. For example, I've always found Acrobat Reader 6 / 7 on
Mac OS X just fine with rendering times. Acrobat 4 / 5 under Mac OS 9 is
another matter ...  so slow it hurts.

Also, MyOSS magazine's site still uses the mambo tagline for its
description, thus talking about Mambo in the description in Google
results. Might want to fix that.

--
Craig Ringer