[Scribus] Buzz words: Cross Publishing and scribus

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Thu Jul 7 04:38:47 CEST 2005

Hi all,

One of the many buzz words in publishig is "cross publishing", IOW
preparing documents for print and web at the same time. Personally, I am
quite sceptical about this approach, and I have seen no convincing
solution from either Quark or Adobe up to date, not to mention any other
manufacturer. Web and print are definitely two kettle of fish, full stop!

OTOH, there might be a demand from potential scribus users in the
commercial space for at least basic HTML/XHTML export from scribus. With
respect to layout, it may be useful to follow the path pdftohtml goes,
which is creating an HTML document as a table. That way, the layout
(with the exception of fonts) could be preserved, but exporting HTML
from a scribus XML file wouldn't require manual corrections as is
currently necessary with pdftohtml. It would also be useful to make sure
that a potential scribus HTML export can be edited in NVU (i.e. is w3c
compliant).

QXP 6.5 is advertised with the opportunity of creating HTML fields (in
reality, it's not really impressive, BTW). In FOSS, OOo probably offers
more functionality, but it might be worth thinking about converting
scribus (PDF) forms to HTML forms.

Another 0,02 EUR

Christoph