[Scribus] Live-CD: TeX fonts

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Jul 4 01:49:42 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

> At first glance, I would be *very* skeptical of including any kind of
> converted fonts without some serious QA on the fonts after
> conversion.
>
> By serious, I mean testing several different with commercial RIPS with
> many different documents, as well as having someone with detailed
> knowledge of fonts looking over each font carefully in fontforge.

That is exactly the reason why I asked for real life experience. As you
wrote, scribus will winnow out crummy fonts. Maybe this can be sripted
somehow: first convert TeX fonts to Type1, then check with scribus? Just
an idea.

> The lack of good free fonts in the OSS world is a tough one.

With respect to Type 1/TTF/OTF your statement is true, but the supply of
TeX fonts is quite rich. In case they could be converted into *reliable*
Type 1 fonts, we had a huge repository of excellent fonts, including a
huge amount of glyphs per font.

Christoph