[Scribus] Live-CD: TeX fonts

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Jul 4 01:18:39 CEST 2005

On Sunday 03 July 2005 21:55, Christoph Sch?fer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in search for fonts to be included in the Live CD, I thought
> converting TeX Metafonts might be a good idea as long as they could
> be converted into reliable Type 1 fonts. In this case we had a huge
> amount of extremely good fonts in one fell swoop.
>
> Has anybody already had some experience with mftrace
> (http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/mftrace/) or textrace
> (http://textrace.sourceforge.net/)?
>
> Christoph

At first glance, I would be *very* skeptical of including any kind of
converted fonts without some serious QA on the fonts after
conversion.

By serious, I mean testing several different with commercial RIPS with
many different documents, as well as having someone with detailed
knowledge of fonts looking over each font carefully in fontforge.

The lack of good free fonts in the OSS world is a tough one. I have
put extensive notes and hints in the 1.2.2 docs on the reasons and
the best choices for fonts.

Bad fonts causes all kinds of bad things for both Scribus and when you
go to send your doc to the printer. Scribus is necessarily fussy
about fonts, as we do not wish to have a reputation for bad files
because of bad fonts. ;-)

Peter