[Scribus] A few questions and a possible feature

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Mon Jan 31 20:33:19 CET 2005

Kobus Wolvaardt a ?crit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have a few questions and I want to find out if the feature are worth
> it,  and get comments, before I submit it.
>
> 1. Feature: Is it possible to add the ability to select a few different
> objects and automatically add a box underneath them (good for making
> background shadows or drawing a line around it). I know its possible to
> do  it by drawing a box and sending it to back, but it will make the
> interface  a bit easier to use. Also there should be a way to make the
> box a bit  bigger than the objects (margins). This could also be used to
> make  bounding (space holders...I think you call it a bounding box)
> boxes for  pictures and other objects.
Do you mean "bleed" support? This is planned in 1.3.

> 2. Is drop caps possible? I can make a letter big, but I cant drop
> it...  is there a automatic way? I know its easy to make a second text
> box but I  think its a bit to basic not to have. Or maybe I just missed
> it :-)
There is a check box in the Paragraph Style dialog for Drop caps. You
then have to decide how many lines it will be!

> 3. Are there drop shadows for photo's and other boxes? See 1 for a
> possible solution (make top and right margins 0mm and make the bottom
> and  left +2mm and then you have a 2mm colored bar to the left and
> bottom) It  just seems to make sense.
You're going to have to use separate text/image frames to achieve that.
I would go for a feature request!

> How do I create a new style? I cant seem to find it in the manual...is
> it  in the online docs (why isnt the online docs in the program then?)?
> Just  wondering.
Edit>Paragraph Style and you're on your way! You can add, delete,
append, edit styles. Very powerful function.

HTH

Louis