[Scribus] scripting

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Jan 27 15:34:17 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 15:19 +0100, Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:54:49PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > setFont will change the font for the entire frame, or if there is a text
> > selection within the frame, for the selected text. I don't think it
> > doesn't have any way to change the font for the next text inserted. Your
> > best option would probably be to insert the text, then select it and set
> > the font.
>
> That works fine now.
> But doing the same for setStyle applies the style to all the text.
> I've looked into the source and as it seems setStyle Deselects BEFORE while
> setFont does deselecting AFTER.
> I didn't compile it yet but maybe someone could confirm it?

Yeah. If the text frame is in edit mode it works as expected, but if the
frame is just selected it applies to the whole frame. Arrggh.

I'll see what I can do.

Can't wait until I can have a go at a property-and-introspection based
system for manipulating items to try to eliminate some of this
quirkiness ... but the things that depends on are huge, scary, and going
to take a while if they work out at all.

> > I'd say the best way to write a text importer for Scribus is to write it
> > as a C++ plugin using the gettext interface.
>
> I prefer Python and need network stuff.

I can understand that. The Python interface also has the big advantage
of being documented and clearly defined, where the C++ interface ...
umm... isn't. Networking is also quite nice in Python, and not so fun in
C++ (though with Qt it shouldn't be too bad). OTOH the coverage of the
Python interface is limited, I suspect could use more testing than it
gets, and doing GUIs is currently a *royal* PITA.

--
Craig Ringer