[Scribus] Quark user's questions

Craig Ringer craig
Thu Jan 27 09:57:26 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 09:10 +0100, Craig Bradney wrote:

> From where I see it, its not relative to the window or the page.. its a
> number. If you want to increase it.. you press up, if you want to decrease
> it, press down.

Agreed. It's not something I have a real issue with personally (my
difficulties with the co-ordinate system were related to the scripter,
not using the GUI), but I can see why folks might be confused.

Personally, I want to find whoever thought that having the (0,0) origin
of the window system be the top left was a good idea, and hurt them a
lot ;-) . My guess is they picked that because of terminals and line
printers... but the Cartesian system uses (0,0) as bottom left and has
for a just a *tad* longer than computers have been about. It only got
worse when PostScript entered the picture.

Still, that's ancient history and there's not much to be done about it
now. I'd call this particular behaviour a fairly minor, even trivial
issue, and be inclined to just ignore it.

--
Craig Ringer