[Scribus] Quark user's questions

John Kershaw john
Wed Jan 26 23:45:59 CET 2005

At 10:36 pm +0100 26/1/05, Craig Bradney wrote:
>Sure you can.. plus.. dont forget you can use shift click on the properties
>palette to do smaller movements.

Um, no I can't. I'm in a photo right now (well,
not *right* now, I'm typing this), with the
content tool selected, and pressing
up/down/left/right cursor keys does nothing. If I
select the object tool I can indeed move the
whole frame, but that's not what I want. I want
to move the photo around inside the frame, in one
direction only. Which reminds me, how come
dragging an object with shift held down doesn't
constrain it to horizontal/vertical? Every
object-based app I've every used does that.

>  > c) Clicking out of a picture box moves the image! After inserting an
>>  image and moving it around, the photo always jumps into the top-left
>>  corner of the frame! Thereafter it works as expected.
>
>This is because you are using scale to frame. Turn that off and this issue
>will stop. Functionality issue we havent agreed on the best method.

No. I'm not using Scale to Frame. I'm using 'Free
scaling' (in the 'Images' part of the inspector
palette, yes?). I just tried now: click empty
frame, cmd-click, Get Picture, click 'Lock aspect
ratio', enter 40%, 35%, 33% (is there an up/down
1%/5% scale shortcut combo?), happy with the
size, adjusted the position a little, clicked
onto the next frame... whammo, the photo jumps up
into the top left corner. I'm not imagining it!

>You answered your own question there. View menu.

Touch? :)

>  > e) Copy/paste image from one frame to another doesn't work.
>
>Copy the frame.

I have four frames placed on the page exactly
where they should be, ie so when I trim between
them there's the correct amount of white space
around each photo. In the top left frame I have a
'sample' photo, taken by the school photographer.
I've dragged guides to match the position of
eyes, mouth, & chin. I imported a photo into the
top right frame and scaled it so that the
features were in the same relative locations. I
then wanted to copy/paste that image into one of
the two lower frames so I could import the next
photo into my guided box. Copy/pasting the frame
wouldn't achieve the same result. And if I have
the *content* tool selected, copy/pasting should
address the content, not the object.

>  > f) X-scale/y-scale is unlocked by default - dispro fitting is very
>  > rarely desired. Having the two locked together by default would make
>  > more sense.
>
>Possibly.

Possibly it's a bad idea to get sued when you
dispro fit a real estate image and are liable
under the terms of the Misdescriptions Act. I can
think of only one time when I've actually dispro
fitted an image (a duotone in a sidebar - it was
so unusual it stuck in my mind), out of the tens
of thousands of images I've imported into boxes
(oh my sad life!).

>AFAIK thats not true. 1.2.1 should be there.

FinkCommander says the current version is 1.2-11
(binary and source) and that's the version I've
got installed (screenshot attached).

At 4:48 pm -0500 26/1/05, Louis Desjardins wrote:
>In the Settings>Preferences>Tools click on the
>Image Frame icon. Aside of the X-scale and
>Y-scale fields you have a little "chain" icon
>that allows you to lock or unlock this.

Aha - thanks for this :)

John.

T:01274 581519   www.kershaw.org   M:07944 755613
E:john at kershaw.org      |      skype:johnmkershaw
AIM:johnkershaw         |   Y!/MSN:john_m_kershaw