[Scribus] Quark user's questions

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Jan 26 22:36:14 CET 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 22:14, John Kershaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just sat down to try and make a document up in Scribus for the
> first time. It's a photo display of staff members at school, just
> dropping photos into sized frames. Unfortunately, I seem to be
> encountering a few of the things that made Christoff's eyes roll the
> other day.
>
> Observations/questions:
>
> a) Where is 'Get Picture' in the menus? I eventually found it in the
> cmd-click contextual menu, but where it's equivalent in the menus?

Its not.. use the context menus, however, I have rewritten all of the menu
system in Scribus 1.3 in the past week and once its all converted to the new
method, I plan to align those so the most required are in the context menu
and all are in main menus.

> b) Once the picture is in, I can't nudge it around with the cursor
> keys, only with the mouse, which is not fine enough control over
> placement

Sure you can.. plus.. dont forget you can use shift click on the properties
palette to do smaller movements.

> c) Clicking out of a picture box moves the image! After inserting an
> image and moving it around, the photo always jumps into the top-left
> corner of the frame! Thereafter it works as expected.

This is because you are using scale to frame. Turn that off and this issue
will stop. Functionality issue we havent agreed on the best method.

> d) How do I turn off the gridlines? I set 'Guides in front' but then
> I had a criss-cross green mesh all over my screen. The only way to
> 'hide' it seems to be to set the spacing to the width of the page!
> Seems that the 'View' menu should contain 'Show/hide guides/grid'
> (since they're related to viewing) whilst 'Snap to guides/grid'
> should be in the Settings menu. Odd.

You answered your own question there. View menu.

> e) Copy/paste image from one frame to another doesn't work.

Copy the frame.

> f) X-scale/y-scale is unlocked by default - dispro fitting is very
> rarely desired. Having the two locked together by default would make
> more sense.

Possibly.

> g) Undo doesn't work! This takes the biscuit! I moved an image inside
> the frame (by accident - I meant to move the frame itself). I hit
> ctrl-Z and nothing happened! Edit > Undo object move and still
> nothing happened.

1.3 has a very nice undo system being developed.

> At this point I'm afraid I quit Scribus and fired up InDesign. Sorry :(
>
> Scribus 1.2 build-id 28 - latest Fink has to offer.

AFAIK thats not true. 1.2.1 should be there.

Craig