[Scribus] OT: Collecting scanner output (.ps) in one pdf document

Sebastian Roeder sebroeder
Fri Jan 21 00:07:16 CET 2005

I managed to get my scanner Epson Perfection 1260 working with xsaen and
the sane-backend from epkowa.

For university I often have to scan a lot of pages, which can be easily
saved as one pdf document with the Windows software from Epson.

Now I am trying to do this with my Gentoo Linux, too.

I first tryied cups-pdf virtual printer - but this works only with root
previlegs and is not very configurable. I can not collect files for
output with this solution either.

Now, I?m thinking about a solution with ps files. ps2pdf can create pdfs
from postcript, the quality was good enough for my needs (I scan mostly
text files, most important is that the files can be read with every
Acrobat Reader on Win/Mac/Linux - I don`t need pre-press quality).

What`s missing is a way to concate the files from the scanner page-1.ps,
page-2.ps ... to one ps file.

I don`t know exactly whether psutils can do this, pstill would might be
an alternative possibility.

Finally I?d like to end up in a little script, which I can give the
basename of the files as an argument and it make the pdf of all the ps
files with the basename in it.

Example: scan2pdf exampledoc
# This script will collect exampledoc-1.ps + exampledoc-2.ps ... and
produce exampledoc.pdf

I hope somebody of the pdf / ps pros here in the list can help me out or
give me some pointers, as I am not very familar with ps /pdf and
scripting at all.

I have to mention that I can not use ghostscript-afpl, only "normal"
ghostscript because afpl is kind of broken in Gentoo atm (doesn`t print
with cups).

Thanks for your help!
Sebastian