[Scribus] Compile error 1.2.1 on Ubuntu

David Purton dcpurton
Mon Jan 17 02:24:09 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 06:20:01PM -0500, Jozsef Mak wrote:
> To be able to install scribus on my system i undertook the major task of
> upgrading my ubuntu distro.
> i downloaded qt-x11-free-3.3.3.tar and presently i am in the middle of
> configuring the environment following exactly the instructions found in the
> install file. But at the end i stuck. I hope some knowledgeable person can
> help me out.
> These are the instructions i follow.
>

> 1.  Unpack the archive if you have not done so already:
>
> 	cd /usr/local
> 	gunzip qt-x11-free-3.3.3.tar.gz	# uncompress the archive tar xvf
> qt-x11-free-3.3.3.tar	# unpack it
>
>    This creates the directory /usr/local/qt-x11-free-3.3.3 containing the
> files from the main archive.
>    Rename qt-x11-free-3.3.3 to qt (or make a symlink):
> 	mv qt-x11-free-3.3.3 qt
>
>    The rest of this file assumes that Qt is installed in /usr/local/qt.
>
> 2.  Set some environment variables in the file .profile (or .login,
> depending on your shell) in your home directory. Create the file if it is
> not there already.
>
> 	QTDIR		   - the directory in which you're building Qt
> 	PATH		   - to locate the moc program and other Qt tools
> 	MANPATH 	   - to access the Qt man pages
> 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH	   - for the shared Qt library
>
>    Note that under IRIX the additional LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH and
>    LD_LIBRARY64_PATH variables are used for specifying library
>    search paths. Set the variable that matches your configuration, or
>    see the rld(5) man page for more information.
>
>    This is done like this:
>
>    In .profile (if your shell is bash, ksh, zsh or sh), add the
>    following lines:
>
> 	QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
> 	PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
> 	MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
> 	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> 	export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>    In .login (in case your shell is csh or tcsh), add the following lines:
>
> 	setenv QTDIR /usr/local/qt
> 	setenv PATH $QTDIR/bin:$PATH
> 	setenv MANPATH $QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
> 	setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH $QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
>    After you have done this, you will need to login again, or
>    re-source the profile before continuing, so that at least $QTDIR
>    and $PATH are set. Without these the installation will halt with an
> error
>    message.
>

> Till this point i think i did everything ok. But the lines below i cannot
> interpret. Can anyone explain where can i set the AIX and HP-UX as
> described below?
>

> On AIX set LIBPATH and on HP-UX set SHLIB_PATH instead of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

AIX is a unix operating system (IBM, I think) and HP-UX is an HP unix
operating system.

This line just means that if you are running AIX then set the LIBPATH
environment instead of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is the variable to set
under Linux. Similarly for HP-UX, set SHLIB_PATH.

Since you run Ubuntu, which is a Linux based OS, you only need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which you have prolly done in the above command:

        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a