[Scribus] suse 9.2

BandiPat magicpage91
Fri Jan 14 05:59:27 CET 2005

bart at solozone.com wrote:
> I use both SuSE 9.0 and 9.1 and I am ready to upgrade to 9.2. But I hear it has partially proprietary kernel? Moreover, they do not put all their programs on CDs but only on a two sided(?) DVD and my 9.2 does not have a DVD reader; the other one does or very soon will (tomorrow).
> Do you folks think I would be better off with Fedora? if so which? Will I be missing programs, of which SuSE gives one a big number?
>
> Bart Alberti

Bart,
That's just plain not true about the kernel.  Each distro adds their own
special things into their compiled kernels, but nothing proprietary at
all.  And believe me when I say they all do things like that!

There are 1600+ programs on the DVD that aren't on the CDs!  There are a
couple of places I've seen listed on the SuSE list showing the missing
packages, if you want to see them.  I've seen DVD drives as low as $19
online, so there's no real reason not to have one, over a regular cdrom now.

If you don't want to go that route though, just log onto SuSE's FTP site
and pick up many of the missing packages from there, as Peter mentioned.
  Everything is available to you, you just have to look.  I'm a SuSE
fan, of course, but I think you would be disappointed moving from it to
Fedora right now.

regards,
Lee

--