[Scribus] CMYK -> RGB strikes again

David Purton dcpurton
Mon Feb 21 14:08:14 CET 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 01:52:18PM +0100, Tino Schwarze wrote:

[snip]

> > Now for your scribus stuff... This is going to seem like a dumb
> > question, but are you *sure* that my patch is applied? I ask, becuase
> > the output you get both for the PDF X/3 and the CMYK pdf looks like what
> > I get from an unpatched Scribus 1.2.1.
>
> Doh. I will check that this evening (don't have my laptop at work).

Still, best not to discount bugs in my code just yet....

> > Have a look in scribus/util.cpp. If the patch is applied, the first
> > function you come to in this file will be be:
> >
> > QImage LoadPict (QString fn, QString Prof, int rend, bool useEmbedded,
> >         bool useProf, int requestType, int gsRes)
>
> I'm sure I patched Scribus (I remember patch complaining about some
> "HUNK xzy succeeded with offset abc"), I recompiled and did a "make
> install", which should have copied everything over to /usr/local/bin
> (which is whas "which scribus" returns).

I haven't actually tested with 1.2.2cvs, As soon as I get things working
on big endian machines, I might grab cvs and see if I notice anything.

You could grab the test suite tarball off my web page as well and
compare the results you get with that.

> > If not, then either you have the first version of my patch without image
> > support or something went wrong and it wasn't correctly applied.
>
> I'm pretty sure that I used the 0.2 version of your patch.
>
> > This is what I get using your image and the ISOcoated profile you
> > recommended (PDF exported for printer (CMYK):
> >
> >         http://marshwiggle.net/scribus/tino.pdf
> >
> > Both the sRGB and the CMYK look nearly identical for me, both on screen
> > and in the CMYK pdf (When viewed in acroread 5.09, other pdf viewers are
> > not so good, of course)
>
> Thank you very much for your time, this looks very promising now. :-)
>
> BTW: Will export from sRGB to CMYK be improved by your patch as well? It
> might save me the hassle of converting everything to CMYK then!

In theory they should both give the same results, providing you use the
same profiles and rendering intents.

In one case, the conversion to CMYK happens at export time, and in the
other it happens before you import.

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a