[Scribus] updating CVS

Craig Ringer craig
Fri Feb 11 06:24:38 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 21:23 -0500, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> I have some concerns/questions:
>
> 1. Although I note that people are always directed to the Scribus site
> for info about CVS, it's really not easy to find; I always have to start
> searching around for it.  Eventually I find that the only way to get to
> the goodies is clicking on FAQ -- not the most obvious choice.

Yeah, I agree it can be a bit tricky to find. In particular, the
changelog should probably link to instructions on how to grab CVS. It
might not be a bad idea to link to that info from the download section
either, since only the CVS snapshots are listed there.

> 2. I have 3 computers that I try to keep updated with Scribus CVS, an
> Athlon XP, a 'plain' Athlon, and a Pentium 4 laptop.  All are running
> FC3 -- is it necessary to download/update CVS on each individually,
> compile, then install, or could  I copy the compiled files from one to
> the other?

Nope. Just build to a specific --prefix like:

--prefix=${HOME}/scribus/122cvs-`date -I`

(You can tell I keep a lot of Scribus builds around) and build as
normal. Make sure not to set any incompatible processor specific gcc
optimisations such as -march (-mcpu=i686 -march=i686 is probably
sensible) if you customise such things. You can now copy the installed
tree to your other systems and put it in the same place on them, and it
should run fine.

This will only work reliably if they're on the same version of the same
distro. In the case of Fedora, even the same patch level given the
Gentoo-like policy of fixing security bugs by just dropping in the new
version of the package.

I used to do this to run Scribus on my old 800MHz laptop.

> 3. When I do update/compile from CVS, do I need to do a 'make clean'
> each time?

In general, it shouldn't be necessary.

$ cvs up -Pd
$ make -f Makefile.cvs
$ ./configure blah blah blah
$ make
$ make install

You should be able to omit 'make -f Makefile.cvs' if none of the
Makefile.am files were altered, and in fact you usually don't even have
to re-configure. If you have problems, though, re-run with Makefile.cvs
and re-configure. If you still have problems, then make distclean and
try again.

Generally I find I just

$ cvs up -Pd
$ make
$ make install

and it all works fine. (You'll need sudo to make install unless, like
me, you install scribus builds to your home directory).

If you do need to make clean quite a bit, ccache may be helpful in
dramatically speeding up this process. http://ccache.samba.org/

--
Craig Ringer