[Scribus] Feature proposal: Gallery

Christoph Schäfer christoph-schaefer
Mon Feb 7 02:34:18 CET 2005

OOo has (and its closed source predecessor StarOffice had a long time
ago already) a useful feature: the gallery.

Wouldn't it be nice to have something similar for scribus? I figure it
could be some hell of of a work, because picture frames would have to be
created automatically. On the other hand, having all graphics files for
a project or a set of standard graphics handy could save a lot of time.

I recently integrated OpenClipart 0.9 into my OOo and it's simply great
- just drag a graphics file into your document. For a DTP app, a gallery
would of course need a more sophisticated approach, e.g. the ability to
define a default collection and to create a file/project dependent one.
The library function allows for the latter already, but in terms of
usability, a gallery would, at least IMHO, provide a handy extension
(think about something like: draw picture frame -> right click -> insert
picture from gallery).

I observed some recent discussions on using the grey space for similiar
features, but this is another approach which may be worth to be discussed.

Christoph