[Scribus] Interesting article

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sat Feb 5 17:46:36 CET 2005

>Graham Monk wrote:
>
>>Here
>>
>>http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/02/02/215259.shtml?tid=75&tid=131&tid=132
>>
>>Would the developers like to comment? maybe someone like IBM or
>>Novell or RedHat or maybe all 3 would sponsor a meeting for the key
>>developers to meet up for a couple of weeks somewhere nice and have
>>a mass hack session?
>>
>Peter, as you note, made some very direct rebuttals to this article
>in the comment space.
>
>It seems that a lot of the criticism of Scribus tends to come from
>two different groups, the Impatient and the Proscibers:
>
>The Impatient ones seem to be a product of our internet and
>multimedia age, the rise in attention-deficit disorder, and perhaps
>high-energy caffeinated drinks. They want everything, if not now,
>then yesterday. They have no perspective, probably because they
>never retain interest in one thing long enough to develop it. I'm
>always fascinated at those who fill web pages with evaluations of
>software after using it for the first time over a weekend, and have
>no interest in using the software on a daily basis. Like evaluating
>an automobile when you don't even have a drivers' license. Scribus
>has actually evolved very rapidly; any more rapidly and the changes
>would likely be too disruptive to keep people interested. In
>particular, the development process has really matured.
>
>The Proscribers say, "Why can't the interface be more like ______?"
>(fill in the blank) The short, snappy answer is, "Well if you want
>to make your own piece of software, you can make the interface any
>way you like." The reality with Scribus is more like, "Well, rather
>than just complain, why don't you make your case for why you think
>something should change and we'll consider it. Just don't take it
>personal if we don't agree."
>
>Greg

I find this as a very interesting classification!

On the opinion published in newsforge, I would like to add a little
something. My point is not to discuss further what Peter has already
well and with much ?-propos and preciseness established against this
opinion. I want to point out that while it is very common to read
about trios like XPress, Illustrator and Photoshop to be THE tools
for DTP (in OOS, these could be Scribus, Inkscape and Gimp) a closer
look at the real needs of DTP would most obviously bring a fourth
mousquetaire into that group. What about the word processor/editor?
On that part, I think OSS has a strong offer already and Scribus is
in a very good company with OO.org. What we really need is more of
that kind of integration than anything else. imho. :)

Louis