[Scribus] ISO page sizes

Pierre Abbat phma
Fri Feb 4 15:13:50 CET 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 07:49, Craig Bradney wrote:
> No, the page sizes should be correct to the spec, for sure. However, a mm
> and a pt dont relate well.
> 1 postscript pt = 1/72 in, = 0.352777777 mm
> 1 TeX pt = 1/72.27in, = 0.3514589035mm
>
> and then theres the other, older versions.

Exactly the point ;) There are two different definitions of the foot in use in
America, and at least three ounces. There is only definition of the meter in
use worldwide (the definition has been changed for precision reasons, but
it's still the same length). So type size should be measured like anything
else, in meters.

I think that type sizes should be based on the musical scale. If the base size
(call it T0) is 1 mm, then T12 is 2 mm. If you want 3 mm, you specify T19,
which is 2.9966, and 5 mm is T20, 5.0397. And you can scale a page from A4 to
B4 by adding three to all the type sizes.

PostScript has no problem scaling type or images; I'm making a drawing of the
paper sizes and began the page with "2.8346457 dup scale". The %%BoundingBox:
comment, however, is required to be in integer points. I think it should
allow decimals, and there should be a %!PS-Metric comment that says that the
unit is millimeters.

phma
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du