[Scribus] PDF import

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Dec 6 13:01:25 CET 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 08:26:01AM +0100, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 December 2005 02:23, jrm at kw.igs.net wrote:
> > Hello.  I have twice had trouble with imported PDFs, manifesting only
> > by Scribus crashing when I tried exporting to PDF the file using the
> > imported PDF graphic.  The first import was a version 1.6 PDF, and the
> > other may have had other oddities.  Are there any guidelines about which
> > PDF graphics might be safe to import?
>
> Your version of Ghostscript will influence this 100%. Try to have 8.5x if you
> can. I would think up to 1.4 should be ok in general though.

It'd be great to know the GhostScript version you were using, what
OS/distro/version and the exact version of Scribus.

A failure by GhostScript should not result in a Scribus crash, and any
such case is a bug. If you can reliably reproduce it and are running the
most recent version of Scribus 1.3.x or 1.2.x, please file a bug
on bugs.scribus.net with the details I mentioned and a copy of the
problem PDF file.

It'd also be extremely handy to get a backtrace from the crash on your
system, especially if you're using a 1.3.x debugging build. To do this
on Linux, fire up a terminal and run:

	gdb /path/to/scribus

If you don't know where scribus is installed and only have one version
installed, you can run:

	gdb `which scribus`

gdb will blather for a bit then show a prompt like:

	(gdb)

Type "run" and press enter. Scribus will now run as normal. Do whatever
you need to to cause it to crash like it did before. Instead of showing
the crash dialog, Scribus will freeze. Bring up the same terminal you
were using before, and you'll see a message in gdb followed by the (gdb)
prompt. Copy and paste that message into the bug report, then type "bt"
(without the quotes) and press enter. A lot more text will stream out;
please copy and paste that into the bug report too.

Once that's all finished and you're back at the (gdb) prompt, type
"quit" and press enter to close it down.

--
Craig Ringer