[Scribus] [Scribus 0002881]: Scribus/Aqua cannot write or read directories/files

Kevin Walzer sw
Mon Dec 5 23:48:25 CET 2005

scribus at scribus.info wrote:
> A NOTE has been added to this issue.
> <http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=2881>
> Reported By:                wordtech
> Assigned To:                avox
> Project:                    Scribus
> Issue ID:                   2881
> Category:                   PPCOSX
> Reproducibility:            always
> Severity:                   crash
> Date Submitted:             2005-11-29 22:30 CET
> Last Modified:              2005-12-05 21:52 CET
> The latest CVS build of Scribus/Aqua appears to have problems reading the
> filesystem, at least on my machine. When I try to save a file, it returns
> the error message "unable to read /Users/kevin" (my home directory) or
> "unable to read /" (when I try to save to another directory). When I try
> to do to a simple shutdown, it returns this error message: "Scribus was
> not unable to save its preferences file: Could not open preferences
> files/Users/kevin/.scribus/scribus13.rc for writing: too many open files:
> please check directory and file permissions and available disk space."
> This probably also accounts for the fact that this build of Scribus
> appears to generate a new preferences file every time it starts up
> (rebuilding the font cache, etc.--startup takes a long time contrary to
> the advertised improvements in this build).
>
> I have not yet tried to fix permissions via Disk Utility on my machine
> because Scribus is the only program that exhibits this behavior. My
> current disk activity is 5 gigabytes of hard drive space open; and 375 of
> 384 megabytes memory in use (58 megabytes wired, 192 megabytes active, 128
> megabytes inactive).

>  ringerc - 05-Dec-02 20:38
> It'd be really helpful to be able to get a list of the files Scribus has
> open. It looks like Mac OS X ships with the `lsof' command, so can I get
> you to:
>
> - Start up Scribus
> - When Scribus has finished loading, start up the Terminal
> - in the terminal, run the command:
> <pre>
>     lsof -c scribus >& $HOME/Desktop/scribus-files.txt
> </pre>
>   It will not print out any output, but will create a file
> "scribus-files.txt" on the desktop.
> - Attach that file to this bug report.
>
> I don't have Mac OS X on hand, so I'm not 100% sure those instructions are
> quite right. Hopefully they are, though.

>  ringerc - 05-Dec-01 10:49
> Also, it'd be good if you could mention how many fonts you have on the
> system.

>  avox - 05-Dec-02 18:54
> Please tell us the output of "ls -ld /Users/kevin" in Terminal, also
> "ls -l ~/.scribus" (that's all small 'L', no capital 'i' !)

>  wordtech - 05-Dec-05 17:29
> ls -ld produces this output:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   142 kevin  kevin  4828 Dec  5 11:00 /Users/kevin
>
> ls -l ~/.scribus produces no output. Looks like Scribus can't write to
> that directory.
>
> lsof -c scribus produces the output in the attached file.

> [...]
FYI, I won't be able to follow up on these bug reports for a little
while: I've reverted to the July build of Scribus-Aqua and the libraries
because I have a cover to send to the printer this week, and the latest
build won't even open the file. :-( I know that earlier version has its
troubles, but the cover was originally designed with it. I'll reinstall
the latest and greatest of everything next week, after this deadline has
passed.

--
Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD