[Scribus] Manual draft for scribus 1.4 on the Wiki

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Mon Aug 22 04:29:40 CEST 2005

Christoph Sch?fer wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
>> This is something that cannot be done. The license for the docs
>> included with Scribus, and on docs.scribus.net (same content)
>> includes the clause which makes this not possible, which enables us
>> to take it to print (which Peter and I are in the process of working
>> towards).
>

> That's exactly why I included the disclaimer in parentheses. I suppose
> a link on the Wiki would be sufficient to make clear that some work is
> already done and the wheel need not be reinvented. I was more
> interested in getting translations printed, not the original, provided
> Peter, you and whoever contributed to the docs agree on it.
>
> Moreover, I was writing about some kind of "official" documentation.
> This "official" documentation can only be provided by the scribus
> team. I think the share alike license allows for copying into the
> docs, and if enough knowledge can be assembled on the Wiki, so much
> better for the official docs. But the document outline would be
> incomplete without even mentioning the work that is already done.
>
> To prevent copying, however, do you think it would be better to add
> links to the official docs, instead of offering an editable page? That
> might be a reasonable solution.

There probably needs to be a warning or caution on the Wiki itself about
respecting the copyright of the official Scribus docs site.  Personally,
I think what could be useful would be to take a different approach than
the official documentation, which is much like a text, and organized in
a linear fashion.  Perhaps looking at scribus-list one can sift through
to find the real-world questions that come up before someone even starts
up Scribus.

For example, the approach could be more geared to someone who has a
concept -- an ad, a newsletter, a magazine, or even something simpler
than these.  Either you're someone who has experience in doing this in
some other way, or you're someone who needs help understanding how to
start the layout conceptually.

The experienced person mainly needs help understanding what we might
call the "Scribus way" - what frames there are, what they can contain,
altering/moving/switching, plus help on repetitive tasks. They will
quickly want to understand how to generate PDFs that are printer-ready.
The inexperienced person needs some help just understanding why to use
Scribus rather than just adding images to a wordprocessing document.
Probably needs help just knowing what to look for. We know from the list
that understanding templates is a difficult concept for many. Font
problems have been big and of many different kinds. The Story Editor is
a foreign concept to many.

So there is much that can be done that points to the official docs and
enhances rather than duplicates that effort.

Greg