[Scribus] Strange PostScript character placement

Phil Hughes fyl
Sat Aug 20 16:17:12 CEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 03:59:51PM +0200, Franz Schmid wrote:
> Phil Hughes schrieb:
> >I have been looking at the PostScript produced by a person doing
> >some tests with Scribus 1.3.0CVS. I see each individual character
> >being placed rather than the text being output as a string. For
> >example, here is " is?".
> >    gs
> >    276.364 -39.704 tr
> >    /space 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
> >    gr
> >    /Fo0 12 se
> >    gs
> >    1 -54.104 tr
> >    /i 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
> >    gr
> >    /Fo0 12 se
> >    gs
> >    4.492 -54.104 tr
> >    /s 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
> >    gr
> >    /Fo0 12 se
> >    gs
> >    9.724 -54.104 tr
> >    /question 0 0 0 0 0 1 shg
> >    gr
> >
> >I am using a PostScript font (/Fo0 /Utopia-Regular findfont
> >definefont pop) and, well, I am confused. Is this "a feature", am I
> >doing something obviously wrong or do I need to pull out my
> >remaining hair?
> >
> >Thanks.
> This is correct, as its possible that every character might have
> different formatting (Colour, Position relative to baseline, etc..)

Possible, I agree but I see two problems here:
 1. A text-heavy document will end up being huge relative to
    what is really there.
 2. This will make the document render slowly.

I never looked before but is this the way it has always worked?
--
Phil Hughes, fyl at a42.com  Phone: 505-713-5675
Aptdo. Postal 0012, Esteli, Esteli, NICARAGUA