[Scribus] Re: CMYK Question

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive
Thu Aug 11 00:22:54 CEST 2005

Hi,

scribus-request at nashi.altmuehlnet.de wrote:

> My childrens' school wants to put a colour advertisement in a local
> newspaper and has created it in a <shudder> Word document. However the
> newspaper is wanting CMYK and the school is asking me for help. Can
> anybody think of a way, preferably with open source tools, to convert a
> colour RGB Word document into a CMYK pdf ( or ps, or eps, or anything else)?

I have this trouble all the time at work - both with Word and Publisher
files.

What I tend to do is print to a dummy PostScript printer (I set up a
"Publisher Survival Kit" dummy printer with zero margins for this
purpose), and load the PS file into GIMP, through GhostScript.

 From the GIMP, I convert the RGB data into CMYK using my Separate
plugin.  The latest (Linux and  OS X) versions have the ability to
"preserve" pure black so it only appears on the black plate, which stops
the press operators griping about registration problems on fine black text!

I then save off a CMYK TIFF, which is the only format I truly "trust"
not to wander in any shape or form when sending it to the Imagesetter.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson