[Scribus] Scribus1.3.0 -- paragraph styles in incoming text.

Peter Barnes pjb
Tue Aug 2 15:10:56 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard White" <scribus at howardwhite.net>
To: scribus at nashi.altmuehlnet.de
Subject: Re:  [Scribus] Scribus1.3.0 -- paragraph styles in incoming text.
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:16:52 +0000
> > This, and the subsequent posts, are very interesting although I
> > doubt that I will have the time to learn regex for this purpose.
> > Even if I did learn it, what does one do with the regex once it
> > is written (I was tempted to write "where should I insert it" but
> > I don't want to attract any witty comments!). Should it be keyed
> > in somewhere in the Scribus Get text/text filter box?
> >
> > My impression is that Scribus has been written (so far) primarily
> > for people producing graphic-rich brochures etc and not for those
> > like me who handle technical documents with large amounts of text
> > that is full of italics, subscripts, symbols and the like.
> > Although it is probably very good at doing the former task, from
> > my perspective it seems like Scribus has lots of bells & whistles
> > but there is still a wheel missing ;)
>

> Peter,
>
> I will be happy to share with you a short document I wrote which
> explains how my  input filter works. As it is not "official"
> Scribus documentation. I don't want to post it in public. I went
> from zero to, well maybe 20 m.p.h on the regexp track in three or
> four hours with considerable help from the patient folks on IRC.
>
> I, too, am interested in improving Scribus's capability in dealing
> with longer, structured, documentation. Some of the people on the
> development team understand this concern and I am encouraged that
> ongoing plans for the innards of Scribus will help put the wheel on.
>
> HW

First, my thanks to Craig Ringer for the guidance on where to use the regex, and for his supporting comments about long documents and those very important character styles.

Second, it's kind of Howard White to offer to share his document on regex - I will take him up on that offer in an email sent direct.

Although I might seem to be putting extra pressure on the already over-worked developers, I really do think Scribus is great and I just want to help by giving some comments from an outsider's perspective. With no knowledge about programming perhaps the best way I can help Scribus is by getting it to work for me!

Peter