[Scribus] Legality of Font Embedding

frank gaude' tanzen
Sat Apr 30 15:54:29 CEST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 19:36 -0700, frank gaude' wrote:
>

>[snip]
>

>>So, as long as Scribus uses an Acrobat 5 to do the embedding all seems
>>to be okay in turns of fonts, but the legality of it all depends on what
>>the font company has to say about it.
>>

>Scribus doesn't use Acrobat at all, and it doesn't go via an
>intermediate PostScript stage when making PDF. It creates PDF directly
>using code in Scribus its self. Thus it's up to Scribus to ensure that
>it respects the font embedding flags. I'm not sure whether that is
>currently implemented, or what the various legalities involved are.

I didn't mean to imply that Scribus actually used Acrobat 5 to convert
to PDF but just the same approach is used, i.e., ignoring the font flags
regarding embedding. It's only in the last five or so years that fonts
have had such flags placed within them... Acrobat 6 is the first to
recognize them ASAIK.