[Scribus] Re: Colour management...

PLinnell mrdocs
Fri Apr 22 10:42:17 CEST 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 06:36, Asif Lodhi wrote:
> Considering the substance of your elaborate choice of words (
> _scrounge_, _fugue_ ), I close it here to stop any further
> contamination.  So, no more comments from yours truly.
>
> On 4/21/05, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
> > Asif Lodhi wrote:
> > > Lastly, I am a small-time not-so-well-off guy and don't have a
> > > printer at my home.  Everytime I have to run to the nearest
> > > wordprocessing/composing shop and get the stuff printed -
> > > that, almost always, doesn't give me the quality I want.
> >
> > Ok, now this is all starting to come together.
> > At least part of what needs to happen is you need to have some
> > kind of working relationship with these shops.  We've had these
> > kinds of discussions before.
> > If nothing else, I think this illustrates the value of giving
> > more specifics about your needs.  Sometimes there are
> > work-arounds.  You have to consider that you will do all this
> > work and still be disappointed. There are some very knowledgeable
> > people involved with Scribus as far as print shop issues (I'm not
> > one of them).  The more specific questions you ask, the more they
> > can help.
> >
> > You're no doubt in a little bit of a fugue state -- you need to
> > settle down and not try to eat the whole thing at once.  If
> > you're talking about a resume, surely the color management issue
> > only involves a portion of what you are trying to accomplish.
> >
> > With Latex, you need to scrounge a book somewhere -- borrow one,
> > find one in a library, I don't know.  The online stuff in 'info
> > latex' in a sense has all the information, but it's very hard to
> > learn from, better as a resource after you already know quite a
> > bit.
> >
> > Greg

Asif,

No need to stop posting. Not at all.

Color Management is a *hard* subject and doubly difficult on Linux as
it is very new. When Scribus added CM it was thought 'un-doable' in
OSS. There are many bits of infrastructure to be added, like a
standard for profile locations among others. We are working on this
with other devels to refine specs, ideas and making it work even
better than other OS's. Openicc is coming to freedesktop.org and in
one year from now, I expect a completely different picture.

First stop is to read all those docs linked about color management on
www.scribus.net I picked those link scarefully to give Scribus users
a good foundation of the basics of CM.

However, of all the subjects in DTP I've studied, it is by far the
most difficult to grok. You need a solid understanding of everything
from the physical properties of ink, paper and printing to
understanding basic color theory to sometimes migraine inducing
mathematics. A good guess is took me 6 months of good studying to
feel comfortable enough to really use in real world production.

And I am still learning everyday. ;-)

Peter