[Scribus] Re: GPLed fonts

Deb and Peter Zweck debandpete
Mon Apr 18 00:34:58 CEST 2005

I think we need to make a distinction between font software and the font
character on the page.

The character on the page(or screen) is a product of the font software,
and is not software in itself, and is no more a derivitive work than a
Scribus document is a derivitive work of the Scribus software. Even if a
font is embedded in a PDF it is still simply part of the software
responsible for rendering a document. Surely the GPL would apply to the
font software itself not the font character as it appears on a page. If
you created a new font (as in the software) from the GPL font, then that
new font would be subject to the GPL.

If you do consider a document using a GPL font is a derivitive work of
that font then I believe you would have to look at all documents
produced by Scribus or any other GPLed word/text processor, or any image
produced with Gimp or Inkscape etc being a derivitive work. Wouldn't you?

Peter