[Scribus] font management

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun Apr 17 20:53:41 CEST 2005

>On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 14:22 -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
>
>>  GPL'ed fonts and their use in documents has been a source of confusion for
>>  over a decade. The GPL license is very clear. In fact, the Free Software
>>  Foundation has thoughts on this subject which are relevant:
>
>[snip]
>
>That's ... interesting. They don't really discuss the issue in detail.
>The addendum is worded as an exception, strongly suggesting they view
>the GPL as applying to a document created with a font. In the case of
>font embedding, I'd have to agree with them (really, the LGPL would be
>better for fonts if people insist on choosing software licenses for
>fonts) though I'm not usually one to see eye-to-eye with the FSF.
>
>What this means is that we need to make it clear on the Scribus font
>info pages that there are some free fonts that restrict the licensing
>and use of documents that contain those fonts. As if the mess around
>font licensing wasn't bad enough already...

If there will be an advice, I think it should be made clear to which
font family it applies. Otherwise it's going to be really complicated
for everyone to find out when GPL applies to a font. I think it's
only confusing and it should be clarified by the people responsible
for the GPL. At the same time, are there lots of fonts known to be
released under the GPL? In other words, is it a theoretical issue or
a real-life issue?

Like I said, it needs clarification.

Louis