[Scribus] font management

Craig Ringer craig
Sun Apr 17 20:44:39 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 13:51 -0400, Louis Desjardins wrote:

> This is of upmost importance as it will prevent lots of people from
> using a GPL font... I would be interested in knowing and
> understanding exactly how it can be considered a derived work of a
> font to use it to layout a publication? I am not a lawyer but I find
> rather restrictive (and, to say the least, astonishing) a GPL element
> "GPLizing" a document just like that.

After reading Marvin's comments, I have to agree with him unfortunately.
It probably does work that way, what with embedding and the parallels
between doc->ps/pdf/raster/print and srccode->binary . That's pretty
stupid IMHO, but mostly it shows why one should be careful about picking
up a software license that "looks cool" and using it for another type of
work.

> A licensed font from Adobe
> doesn't make a document created with it an Adobe belonging.

Well, no, it doesn't. I think you'll find that Adobe explicitly gives
you a license to use the font in your documents and permits
"reproduction" in embedded forms. Remember that the font comes with a
proprietary license that's really AFAIK a contract that sets out what
you can and cannot do with the font.

--
Craig Ringer