[Scribus] font management

Marvin Dickens marvindickens
Sun Apr 17 21:00:29 CEST 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 02:30 pm, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 14:22 -0400, Marvin Dickens wrote:
> > GPL'ed fonts and their use in documents has been a source of confusion
> > for over a decade. The GPL license is very clear. In fact, the Free
> > Software Foundation has thoughts on this subject which are relevant:
>
> [snip]
>
> That's ... interesting. They don't really discuss the issue in detail.

I believe that their lack of detail is more than interesting. This issue has
been a source of confusion for more than a decade and the FSF and the writers
of the GPL have always very carefully side stepped the issue unless put to
task on it. Think about it: How many documents produced at private
corporations possibly use GPL'ed fonts? Particularly, documents produced by
programmers and other people in highly technical positions. Documents once
assumed to be private property are, in fact, public property (Along with what
ever concepts and ideas the document expresses).

Call me jaded, but I've learned through time and experience that accidents
like this don't casually happen - they are manufactured.

Regards

Marvin