mailing list lingua franca was Re: [Scribus] plug - ins....

PLinnell mrdocs
Mon Apr 11 16:53:09 CEST 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 16:04, Carol Kankelborg wrote:
> Thomas R. Koll wrote:
> > Hi Normann,
> >
> > Though maybe 10% onlist will understand your German, please use
> > English instead of German.
>
> No one has responded to this, so I feel I must. Is this a change in
> policy on the list?
>
> In my few years subscribed to this list I have
> seen numerous posts in German and other non-english languages
> and have never seen a complaint about them. They are ignored
> by those who don't speak the language and answered by those
> who do. So I was surprised to see this reply.

No, there is no set policy, though it *is* preferable to send in
English.

The best is even English *and* another language if you are not a
native English speaker and its imperfect or you have difficulty.

Also, Franz, the original developer is indeed German and a decent
portion of our user base are German speakers. We've had all German
threads and i guess we'll have them again in the future.

Our team can speak or read the following:

Czech
English
French
German
Swedish
Luxembourgish
Polish
Slovak
Swedish

No, I do not want the list to become a tower of babel, but helping
folks and getting them sorted is rule # 1 IMO.

The same goes for #scribus on IRC. Its mainly English, but French,
German, Italian and even Russian can be seen.

The international flavor of Scribus is one of the things I as an
anglophone really like.. I guess our mindset is inclusive - a Good
Thing TM IMO.

Peter