[Scribus] typography

Bart Alberti bart
Sun Apr 10 06:27:00 CEST 2005

WP and DTP programs e.g. Quark and Word Perfect have options 'use ''smart
quotes'' ' <toggle> Latex uses regular expressions of the <symbol>[A-Z]
<capitalization sentence start> sort, too. The absence of these is Scribus
is a limitation; it such be better and not worse than these  programs
(except for Latex whose sophistication cannot be beat I think). Turning
these into text yield however (from Quark) in
          less myfile.text
 so-and-so \222 etc.
The long list of colors in the *sla file RGB CYMK BurntAlmond etc. takes up
huge space when no color or even text color is called for in use. IMHO a
modular text format where only the modules used is kept would seem much more
efficient and I gather that is what some of the replies to my postings
before seems to suggest will happen and if so I applaud. A file with nothing
but a space character in scribus prints out in TEN pages of raw code.
I see published books which have obviously been prepared in programs and it
is obvious they have dropped some element of fine printing or even the usual
standard of printing at some point and I can almost recognize what program
was used or font for that matter.

Bart Alberti