[Scribus] Typography: numbers

Eilert eilert-sprachen
Thu Apr 7 10:55:23 CEST 2005

Christoph Sch?fer schrieb:
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> at least for the German users, I read from the latest DIN 5008 that it
>> is definitely "allowed" to write 10.000 OR 10 000 up to taste.
>>
>> Got this info from working at office's April issue. They had it in
>> connection with currency, however, i. e. 10.000,00 EUR or 10 000,00 EUR.
>>
>> Anyway, these are just recommendations, and as far as I know, in
>> normal thinking countries (i. e. countries != Germany) they are taken
>> for that :-)
>>
>> Rolf
>

> Hi Rolf,
>
> the problem in Germany is, that the "rules" (better: guidelines) for
> offices and businesses on the one hand and for the "black art" on the
> other are different. I found the 1000/10 000 "rule" in some typography
> manuals (a DIN doesn't care about aesthetics).

Hi Christoph,

100 % agree.

> I didn't know them before and no one ever complained. But I have to say
> that numbers in a text which is supposed to be read (book, magazine)
> really look better in typographical style. I think if you're in DTP,

I didn't think of that difference, but it's true.

> people expect you to make a difference and they want a result which
> looks better than something written by a clerk with a certain word
> processing software.

Even in my business letters I do not follow all DIN rules because we're
using computers today with a typography which has more to do with
book-printing than typing on a typewriter. I find this looks just
better, but it's a matter of taste.

Rolf