[Scribus] No Speeding Zone

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Fri Apr 1 00:52:18 CEST 2005

Craig Bradney wrote:

>On Thursday 31 March 2005 18:52, wayne wrote:
>

>>On Thursday 31 March 2005 06:09 am, Chris Turchin wrote:
>>

>>>i posted a similar malaise a while back. its apparently a known issue
>>>with large text frames. my experience however, was only that text entry
>>>in the frame was dreadful, not the whole app. the workaround for me was
>>>to use the storyboard editor rather than editing text directly in the
>>>frame.
>>>
>>>HTH.
>>>
>>>--chris
>>>

>>I would do that except that just opening the storyboard editor takes a long
>>time, up to 30 seconds. Then, maneuvering within the editor is just as
>>slow.
>>
>>Here's another interesting thing that I've since discovered. The slowdown
>>occurs mostly on page 1 of this 2 page document. Whenever I move to page 2
>>(with the page selector scroll box on the bottom of the page), everything
>>speeds up. I found that I can edit page 1 paragraph styles from page 2
>>(linked files) easily. But some things like positioning, I have to do on
>>page 1:(
>>
>>Wayne
>>

>Story Editor should not be slow, especially not for opening. Sounds like
>something else to me.

I would agree.  I have generated 50-some page documents (mostly images,
but eventually I add text frames for most of them) with my scribalbum.py
script.  Generating the document takes some time, and then when you save
and reload it, that takes some time as well, but once it's in Scribus,
scrolling and various operations on the document are not particularly slow.
It seems I recall someone who was having a speed/loading problem, who
eventually found out that one or more of his frames was located
off-page, which apparently causes Scribus fits.

Greg