[Scribus] First issue completed but scrolling speed is a major

Paraplegic Racehorse paraplegic_racehorse
Wed Sep 29 22:01:09 CEST 2004

Frank Cox wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:02:34 +0200, Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Another thing you can try, is, dont use Automatic Text Frames and import the
>>text into the first frame, place any ads, then link the next frame in, place
>>any ads. If the text is overflowing in a frame Scribus doesnt have to draw it
>>anyway so you should gain a lot of speed there.
>>

>By george, I think you're onto something there.  Even if the
>commercial ads are already in place, if the text frames for the
>classifieds are unlinked-until-needed, then a person can just go
>through the paper starting from page 1, fix each page in order, then
>link the text frame on the next page and work through the whole paper
>like that.
>
>As the performance problem seems to go away when you're at the end of
>the document, that trick should make sure that we're always working at
>the "end".

Something else that will probably do you wonders is to have a separate
text-import file for each section of the classifieds. For example, one
file for Autos, a separate file for Real Estate, another file for
Household Goods, etc. Go ahead and import these with auto text frames,
as each one will be relatively small, you'll be able to be mostly
working at the "end" of the document and you can place your commercial
ads in the appropriate areas on-the-fly.

As a side effect, this would also make it easier to publish a
market-specific secondary product. Certainly some of your buyers only
want to see the farm equipment and real estate, or whatever. (as a taxi
company owner, I buy the local paper only to look at the auto
classifieds ...)