[Scribus] pdf export problem

Craig Bradney cbradney
Wed Sep 22 20:27:43 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:05, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 01:50 pm, Craig Bradney wrote:
> > What you are running into isn't a Scribus bug but a bug in freetype from
> > about 2.1.4 to 2.1.8. Freetype stopped reporting the correct outline
> > widths in 2.1.4 but from testing I've done all is fixed in 2.1.9.
>
> Good to know, thanks.
> Unfortunately it seems anything above freetype-2.1.6 breaks many things in
> Gentoo-land.

In any land. The headers and structure have changed, and I have it on good
advice that to take advantage of new versions 2.2.0+ (perhaps, even USE(!)
them), you will need to be running xorg-x11 instead of xfree anyway.

I unmasked and emerged freetype 2.1.9 when it found its way into portage and
did a PDF export and the outlines were properly reported to Scribus, however
having then tried to use ft 2.1.9 with any gtk program made them look
horrible and sometimes fall over. Qt/KDE apps seemed to be fine. I soon
(after about 30 mins)  reverted to stable freetype having submitted a bug
about gtk of whatever version it was not compiling with 2.1.9.

What you are seeing is a 1pt outline of the font that we have set as a minimum
so you can see its there, otherwise for many fonts you wouldnt even see the
outline at all.

Craig