[Scribus] Scribus Nominated As A Finalist For Linux Format Awards2004

Gregory Pittman gpittman
Sat Sep 4 02:01:48 CEST 2004

Louis Desjardins wrote:

> A close look at that list tells it all ? thank you Peter! Again, I
> would strongly ? with both hands!!! ? recommend the use of Scribus in
> any DTP school program... and more!

I think it's a matter of being persistent, creative and opportunistic. I
just received the latest issue of Linux Journal this week, where there's
an article by someone who on the sly ported his company's major software
offering to Linux, found it to work faster than on their WindownNT port,
and thus eventually found acceptance of the concept. In schools it's
probably going to be the students who will introduce Linux and its many
fine pieces of software to the teachers.
One of the challenges (speaking as the parent of 3 kids recently out of
high school) is that the interest of children in computers "per se" is
pretty thin.

Wonders do exist: my wife, a computer-phobe if there ever was one,
surprised me one day. I had switched Fedora to graphical boot, thinking
that would be less disturbing to her, more like the blandness of
Windows. She made it clear she did not like it and wanted it switched
back -- perhaps the reassurance of seeing the list flying by with all
the [OK]'s?

Greg